Thursday, October 4, 2007

Cream of Mushroom Soup


I always been a big fan of creamy soup especially mushrooms & clam chowders! But seriously...I never know how to make them coz they look so complicated. Well..confession...I did try it few years ago which put me into a phobia.. Because when I mix the butter with the flour and turn into clumps..i was stumped and throw everything down the bin...coz I thought I did it wrongly. And that's it...Campbell soup is what I depend on when I crave for it.


So, I picked up a courage to try again and this time I determined to make it happen and ..... It turned out nice and yup...look & taste like creamy soup!! Hooray..and gosh...it is actually darn easy and yes the clumps were part of the process.



Cream of mushroom soup


Ingedients


Fresh mushrooms - shitake/whitebutton/champignon

Plain Flour (all purpose flour)

Butter

Garlic

Onion

Milk

Chicken Stock


How to cook?


1. Chop onion, garlic & mushrooms and fry them in oil until soft. Put aside.

2. Ehmm..this is the part that puzzled me last time...but don't worry if it turns out like this..mean u are doing it right.... melt butter in a pan...then stir in flour (no need to mix with water)..and it will turn into clumps. Don't worry....it's supposed to be like that...you make around half a fist of your hand.

3. Pour in milk and stir in slowly (use slow fire) and stir until there is no more clumps. and you will finally see the "creamy" look in the pan.

4. Pour the chicken stock and stir together.

5. Finally put the mushrooms & onion & garlic...and season to taste with salt & pepper & parsley (optional).

6. One last trick....after you switch off the fire...put in a piece of butter and before you serve, just stir it again.

7 . Serve with garlic bread and enjoy!


Moral of the story : Don't give up in your first attempt and have faith in those instruction in cook books!


So, Canned soup? I need you no more....and now...wonder where I could find clams.....anyone?


P.s You could serve this soup as the "sauce" for spaghetti. I serve this soup with spaghetti and put some steam brocolli & carrot for the kids...a big big hit with them!





No comments: