Monday, October 1, 2007

Home Made Char Siu





Well, I always have a bottle of char siu sauce in my fridge which I normally use for stewing chicken drumlets. But...come on..it's CHAR SIU sauce, so here I am today try to do as the instruction and I'm glad I did because at the end of it, I was beaming with pride of how it turned out. Well, considering it's kind of instant, of course failure rate is pretty low..but I guess, it's more of the heartful effort in doing it! :-)






Seriously, it's that easy but if you are looking for fast one..this is not the thing to make.






So, what do you need?






1. A slab of pork. I happen to have shoulder butt which has a bit of fat that turns into juicy bit of that sinful bite.



2. Honey



3. Char Siu Sauce (any brand lha - no loyalty here)






Basically, just follow the instruction on the bottle..but I did it slightly differently because I don't have a conventional oven which left me with a small toaster oven.






So, I boil the pork with a marinate of sauce for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours...and then toasted it on the oven until it turn to look like a real char siu!






The result is ....a juicy, super soft char siu that gave me so much pleasure and pride when I cut it into thin slices and presented it to my over excited kids who ate double the portion of what they would normally eat that day!






So, do try it ....and I'm sure it will become the family's favourite.



No comments: